The flavour and smell of Christmas in one bite! Give this healthier version of Christmas Mince Pies a go – full of fruit, nuts and of course all the delicious spices, they are sure to be as much of a hit as the traditional version!
For the crust
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of 100% pure maple syrup or honey, we used maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
For the fruit mince
- 325 g mixed dried fruit (we used sultanas, cranberries and currants)
- 2 green apples peeled and diced
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine all the fruit mince ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, make sure you stir every now and again. When done, the liquid should be absorbed and fruit dark and puffy. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a muffin tray – we used a regular muffin tray so this made nice and deep fruit mince pies.
- Moving on to the base – whisk the eggs, coconut oil and maple syrup together. Add the ground almond, wholemeal flour and salt and mix together until a dough forms. Place the dough into the fridge to harden a little, about 5-10 minutes.
- Split the pastry into 3 equal parts. 1/3 for the topping and 2/3 for the pie cases. Divide the 2/3 portion of pastry into 8 equal portions. Press 1 portion of pastry into each muffin cup, covering the base and all edges – it should be about 3mm thick. Fill the pastry cases with the fruit mince.
- Place the remaining 1/3 of pastry between two pieces of plastic and use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry. Cut Christmas shapes (we used stars), then place on top of the fruit.
- Bake for about 15 mins or until golden brown. Let the pies cool in the tray before removing.
Enjoy team! Let me know if you give these a go and what you think, i’d love to see a picture of your creations too – drop me a line or post a pic in the Facebook Support Group if you are a member!
Join DediKate Today!
You Deserve It!
Eating out - Some tips! :Next Post
Christmas Spiced Cookies